cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Nicolas Toper <nto...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: Windows/Tomcat/Cocoon Installation --htm attached.
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:55:44 GMT
This is a great idea!!! Actually I've spent 2 days
figuring out how to do it (eventually I installed
Linux=)
 --- Jim Bloggs <longusername@fastmail.fm> a écrit : >
Greetings!

> I don't know whether this will be of any use, but I
> made out a how-to for
> installing Cocoon 2.1.3 on Tomcat 5.0.18 on Windows
> 2000 with
> j2sdk1.4.2_01.
>
> I thought it just might be useful but, if not, my
> apologies for wasting
> your time and you can just ignore this email. It may
> also not be the best
> way of doing things, but at least it seemed to work
> for me. Hope it
> helps.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> best, Jim
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different…

---------------------------------
						acronym {
text-transform:lowercase;font-variant:small-caps; }
body { margin:3.0em }			p.note { border:1px solid
gray; width:80%; background-color:linen;
padding:0.2em; visibility:visible; margin:1.0em; }
	Windows/Tomcat/Cocoon Installation		Tomcat
5.0.18/Cocoon 2.1.3 on Windows 2000 with j2sdk1.4.2_01

Installing Tomcat and Cocoon is easy if you know how,
but can be complicated if you don't. As I went through
it, I promised myself I would make notes once I'd
finished. Outlined below are the steps I took to
install Cocoon 2.1.3 on Tomcat 5.0.18 on Windows 2000
with j2sdk1.4.2_01. I hope they help.

			The following assumes you have already installed
Sun's Java Development Kit (j2sdk1.4.2_01) in
directory c:\j2skd1.4.2_01.

   Do this: Download the file called 5.0.18.zip from
the Tomcat 5.0.18 section near the bottom of the
Release Builds section:
											http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi

Consider this: It may be possible to use the .exe or
Deployer files instead, but I used the zip.

   Do this: Extract everything to c:\ using Winzip,
which should create a directory called:
					c:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18

Consider this: You can tell Winzip will create a
subdirectory by looking at the value in the path
column on the right hand side.

   Do this: Set the JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME
environment variables.
					Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced >
Environment variables... > System Variable pane,
New... etc.
   							JAVA_HOME
      							c:\j2sdk1.4.2_01
   							CATALINA_HOME
      							c:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18
Consider this: Environment variables can also be set
in a DOS box using DOS commands, but in that case,
they are only meaningful within and for the lifetime
of that DOS box.

   Do this: Test the server by running the batch file
provided.
					c:\jakarta-tomcat\bin\startup.bat

Consider this: This is only one way of running the
server. A better way is to install it as a Windows
service.

   Do this: View the default installation screen. The
screen should be available when you see the message
INFO:Server startup in <nnnnn>ms, by visiting:
					http://localhost:8080/

Consider this: Tomcat listens on port 8080 by default.
Apache listens on port 80 by default. Browsers
normally hit on port 80 unless told otherwise.

   Do this: Stop the server by running the batch file
provided.
					shutdown.bat

Consider this: Because the batch file appears to hang,
you will need to run this batch file from another DOS
window.

   Do this: Install Tomcat as a Windows service by
running the batch file provided.
					c:\jakarta-tomcat\bin\service.bat

Consider this: Windows services can be controlled
independently throught the Services control panel.

   Do this: Change the service status to automatic for
automatic start on reboot. The service should be named
Apache Tomcat in:
					Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Consider this: You can start, stop and restart any
service using the corresponding button in the top
panel

   Do this: Download the file called
cocoon-latest-src.zip from:
											http://cocoon.apache.org/mirror.cgi

Consider this: It is necessary to download the entire
source which can take a long time.

   Do this: Extract the source to c:\ using Winzip,
which should place everything in a directory called:

					c:\cocoon-2.1.3

Consider this: You can find more details on installing
Cocoon in c:\cocoon-2.1.3\INSTALL.txt

   Do this: Build the binary. It may run for quite a
while, in my case 30 mins.
					build

Consider this: During this time there will be many
disturbing warning messages. You can see other build
options by doing build -projecthelp

   Do this: Test Cocoon in the Jetty Servlet
container.
					cocoon servlet

Consider this: Jetty is provided with Cocoon so that
it can be tested independently of a separately
installed servlet container such as Tomcat.

   Do this: View the Cocoon default installation
screen here:
					http://localhost:8888/

Consider this: Jetty listens on port 8888, but in a
moment, we will configure Cocoon to run with Tomcat on
port 8080.

   Do this: Stop the Jetty server.
					^C

Consider this: Although inelegant, I couldn't find any
other way of stopping Jetty.

   Do this: Copy over the Xalan parser to Tomcat. Bit
vague about this step, but seemed to work for me.
					copy c:\cocoon-2.1.3\lib\endorsed\xalan.2.5.2.jar
c:\jakart-tomcat-5.0.18\common\endorsed\

Consider this: The docs suggested copying over
xercesXXX.jar and xml-apis.jar, but I omitted to
because the versions that came with Tomcat were dated
after those shipping with Cocoon.

   Do this: Copy over the webapp directory hierarchy
as a subdirectory of the Tomcat webapps directory
named cocoon
					xcopy c:\cocoon-2.1.3\build\webapp
c:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18\webapps\cocoon /D /S /V /I /F

Consider this: Alternatively, using Windows explorer,
drag and drop the webapp folder into the webapps
folder whilst holding down the <ctrl> key. Then select
the webapp folder, hit F2, and rename it cocoon.

   Do this: Restart Tomcat from the services window:

					Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Consider this: Tomcat should find Cocoon when it
restarts.

   Do this: View the Cocoon startup screen which
should be avaliable here:
					http://localhost:8080/cocoon/

Consider this: The first time you run Cocoon, it will
take some time to compile. You can create a more lean
and mean Cocoon by creating and editing the files
local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties.

   Do this: Delete the source if you desire to save
space and keep things tidy.
					rd /S c:\cocoon-2.1.3

Consider this: Before you rebuild Cocoon, clear out
the build directory by doing build clean

users-help@cocoon.apache.org