cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: javax.servlet.http.HttpSession access from XSP?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:33:27 GMT
On 02.02.2004 23:20, Phil Blake wrote:
>>> How do I access the javax.servlet.http.HttpSession from within XSP?
>>> I know I have xsp-session but it is a
>>> org.apache.cocoon.environment.Session
>>> And request.getSession() also returns a
>>> org.apache.cocoon.environment.Session
>>> I've seen that the org.apache.cocoon.environment.http.HttpSession is
>>> created from the javax.servlet.http.HttpSession but I can't see how
>>> to access it from there.
>>

>> I don't know exactly as I do not have written the code, but I think
>> hiding the HttpSession was intended. You only shall access the Cocoon
>> specific Session.
>>
>> What exactly do you want to do?
>

> I am using the database framework Cayenne. Like most web based
> client/server frameworks, it requires that you pass it an HttpSession to
> retrieve a context for that HttpSession.
>
> As there is no option here, I must supply the HttpSession, the question
> is - does cocoon provide access to it?
>
> I guess I could re-create a standard HttpSession from the cocoon
> HttpSession, but usually when I'm backed into such an ugly hack, it's
> because I haven't found the "proper" way. I'm assuming that cocoon would
> not completely obscure the standard HttpSession - even if it's wrapped
> it. Does anyone know the real story?

Cocoon's HttpSession is just a wrapper around standard servlet
HttpSession, but does not really give access to it. Have a look into the
source code:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/environment/http/HttpSession.java?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.2
As the wrappedSession field has only default access and the class is
even final there remains only the way of adding an additional class in
the same package to get the unwrapped HttpSession - that's obviously the
"ugly hack".
I cc Carsten as he wrote the Cocoon HttpSession, maybe he knows of a
more standard way to get the unwrapped HttpSession.

Joerg