cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Sal Mangano" <smang...@ureach.com>
Subject RE: Indexing cocoon for search engines
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:50:52 GMT
Gary,

Google and other search engines will index your site once they follow a link
from the outside to your site. The fact that your site is served by cocoon
makes no difference. If they follow a link to a page in your site and that
page contains further internal links to your site then you are indexed.
Simple as that. Some of these engines and 3rd party paid services (e.g.,
overture.com) let you register your page with them to get the ball rolling.

I have no experiemce with Lucene but from what I can tell it allows you to
provide search within your own site. Getting Lucene to work (or not) has no
bearing on external engines being able to crawl your site. If you serve up
HTML they will index it. It does not matter where the html came from (xml,
database, etc.)

-Sal

Salvatore R. Mangano, President
sal.mangano@ into-technology.com
http://www.into-technology.com
Into Technology transforms software into enduring assets.

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does
not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.