cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Eventcache - Invalidate from XSP?
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:57:34 GMT
Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

>On Fre, 2004-03-12 at 08:40 -0500, Geoff Howard wrote:
>

>>Hopefully you meant an XSP action.
>>

>No, I mean an XSP page. I use a Java bean to update the database and
>output a XML document containing some information about this update. Do
>you recommend another approach for this task?

I'd reccomend using actions or flow for the update, xsp (or some other
flavor of generator) just to generate the xml version of the model.
Doing otherwise mixes concerns IMHO.

>What I have and like is the ability to call update.html?databases=a,b or
>update.txt?databases=a,b and accordingly invalidate pages depending on
>these. I guess using actions for would make it far more difficult or
>even impossible to generate this output.

?? Don't see why this is difficult with or without actions.  Have you
looked over the modular db actions samples, for example?

>I wonder how it is possible to get a reference to cocoons event-aware
>cache implementation from an database trigger, do you have any working
>example for this?

No, no.  You wouldn't use a direct reference to Cocoon's cache from
there - you'd either fire off a jms message (see the jms block for
examples) or you'd use http to call a pipeline which executes the
action.   JMS is the way to go hands down if you ever need to load
balance across several Cocoon front-ends.

I'm being terse just because I don't have a lot of time ATM.  Feel free
to keep asking questions.

Geoff