cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Coccon vs. JSP
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:59:57 GMT
Alejandro

Well, the best way to learn is try something out!
Ok, its quite hard to summarize benefits in a short
space - for a quick summary of XSP vs JSP you
can look at:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=JSP

Obviously you do not have to work with XSL - but
not doing so negates the whole point of being to
reuse your "raw XML" source in many formats/
ways (including ones you have not thought of it!)

Looking at some common practices:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=BestPractices
might also help get a "feel" for how Cocoon helps...

Finally - the *best* treatment I have seen on this
topic is in one of the first Cooon books
http://cocoon.apache.org/link/books.html
by Carsten Ziegeler and Matthew Langham -
Chpt 1 deals with the 'history of internet apps'
and if the advantages of Cocoon are not very
obvious after reading that, then best to stick with
your "simple", but limited, JSP [seriously, not every
one is prepared to put in the work that will reap them
the benefits, but my experience - and I also started
with servlets/JSP - is that it is worth it in the long term]

Derek

[Side note: someone needs to draw up an accessible
and attractive 'benefits' page for Cocoon - with some
sections targetted at developers coming from other
areas...]

PS These are not necessarily helpful, but do convey
some 'good feeling'
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Testimonials

>>> almartinez@sgi.es 2004/03/12 03:34:19 PM >>>
Hello!!

	I am learning a lot about Cocoon, but I can't see yet the
advantages of
Cocoon versus technologies like JSP. I think that working with XSL is
much
more difficult than working with JSP, as XSL is limited in
variables,etc.
What are the benefits of using Cocoon?	(No doubt that you will change
my
mind ;).

Alejandro

believed to be clean.