cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jason Lane <ja...@root10.net>
Subject Re: essential reading
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:25:44 GMT

On 1 Apr 2004, at 14:15, jacques couzteau wrote:

> hello,
>
> with respect to the wealth of documentaion material i am seeking some
> advice on what books or online articles/docs/HowTo are essential to
> read in order to implement something like an online-mag that reads
> from a posgreSQL-db and static text and runs in tomcat.
>
> My goal is to get a quickstart at developing my own wepapps using XSLT
> and a posgreSQL and get the important stuff right from the beginning.
>
> I like hands-on-examples and working apps that i can derive my own
> apps from and i want solutions quickly. I'm a programmer with
> scientific background and i know Perl, C/C++, Java. I'm quite fond of
> the Perl Cookbook. Is the XSLT-Cookbook good for me?
>
> So far i had a glance of the online cocoon-documentation, the the
> oreilly-XML-Bookshelf, some articles at XML.com and the apache
> definitive guide. I'm willing to buy a book, but from a book that i
> buy i expect to use it a lot.
>
> What about the following books:

I've got XSLT 2nd Edition (Michael Kay - Wrox: ISBN 1-861005-06-7)
which is a fantastic reference.

Also I've got Cocoon: Building XML Applications and Cocoon Developer's
Hanbook in my collection, there both good, I must say the Cocoon
Developer's Hanbook is by far a better, more detailed work.

> +XSLT Cookbook by Sal Mangano
> +Cocoon 2 Programming (Bill Brogden, Conrad D'Cruz, Mark Gaither)
> +Cocoon Developer's Hanbook (by Lajos Moczar (Author), Jeremy Aston)
> +Cocoon: Building XML Applications by Carsten Ziegeler (Author),
> Matthew Langham (Author)
> +Cocoon 2 Programming: Web Publishing with XML and Java
>
> The wealth of material is killing. I don't know where to start?
>
> Thank you for suggestions.
>
> jacques
Jason Lane

Developer