cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Gerald Aichholzer" <ga...@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at>
Subject Re: I18N with no L10N ?
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:08:12 GMT
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Paul Joseph
<pjoseph_98@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am starting the design of a Cocoon based application
> which, since it will be used only in one country for
> the next year or so, needs to be internationalized,
> but not localized for any other country.
> Having just read the documentation about the I18N
> Transformer,  I have the following question:
> What is the best way for me to I18N an app when it is
> going to work only in one language for a while.
> Should I use the I18N tags, but not define a
> catalogue?  Won't it then default to the values
> without any translation as a lookup into the catalogue
> won't find a matching key or text?
> Or is this the case only when I use the i18n:key attr
> as in:
> <i18n:text i18n:key="key_text">Default
> value</i18n:text>

Hi,

I'm using now the following method which uses the text
itself as key:

   <i18n:text>show statistics</i18n:text>

If you don't specify a default value for untranslated
text in the transformer's definition (map:transformers
section in the sitemap) then the text stays as it is.

Of course specifying a key (like in your example) is
also an option - just ensure that you don't specify a
value for untranslated text.

HTH,
Gerald