cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andre Juffer <ajuf...@sun3.oulu.fi>
Subject Re: Using business objects instead of XML
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:39:24 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> Andre Juffer wrote:
>
>> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>>

>>> There is no way for the generator to know how xml can be generated
>>> out of your domain object. There is no possibility to do that without
>>> "helping" the framework. I do not know what is expected from source
>>> to be xmlizable. I would have to look into the sources. Or even
>>> better do it yourself - you'll get a better knowledge of how cocoon
>>> works.
>>>

>> Yes, I thought already that it would go in that direction. I was
>> hoping that reflection was used to get information about a class (e.g.
>> as in Castor).
>
> you can of course use castor generator but I do not know if castor is
> able to generate anything if it has no mapping file.

Actually, it can, it will use reflection, at least the documentation
tells so:

"Castor can marshal "almost" any arbitrary Object to and from XML. When
descriptors are not available for a specfic Class, the marshalling
framework uses reflection to gain information about the object."

see http://castor.codehaus.org/xml-framework.html

It does require that the object implements the java.io.Serializable
interface, though, implying that one has to change the relevant
DomainObject class (or extend them to create cocoon/castor specific
classes).

The Biocenter and            | Fax: +358-8-553-1141
     the Dep. of Biochemistry | Email: Andre.Juffer@oulu.fi