cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andre Juffer <ajuf...@sun3.oulu.fi>
Subject Re: Using business objects instead of XML
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:44:36 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> Andre Juffer wrote:

>>> you can of course use castor generator but I do not know if castor is
>>> able to generate anything if it has no mapping file.
>
> I meant transformer
>

>> Actually, it can, it will use reflection, at least the documentation
>> tells so:
>>
>> "Castor can marshal "almost" any arbitrary Object to and from XML.
>> When descriptors are not available for a specfic Class, the
>> marshalling framework uses reflection to gain information about the
>> object."
>>
>> see http://castor.codehaus.org/xml-framework.html
>>
>> It does require that the object implements the java.io.Serializable
>> interface, though, implying that one has to change the relevant
>> DomainObject class (or extend them to create cocoon/castor specific
>> classes).
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/CastorTransformer.html

Yes, this is the Transformer as provided by cocoon, which requires field
descriptors. However, the 'original' Castor can handle this all also
without descriptors using reflection. It is trivial of course to include
a separate descriptor file, so it seems that the CastorTransformer could
be a good choice. Thanks for the tip (I apprently overlooked this
Transformer)

The Biocenter and            | Fax: +358-8-553-1141
     the Dep. of Biochemistry | Email: Andre.Juffer@oulu.fi