cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ben Pope <benpop...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document Conversions Online
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:34:42 GMT
Michael McGrady wrote:
> Hello, Jorg,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I want to provide an application that will
> take documents and convert them to and from XML, e.g. Word to PDF, PDF
> to Word, RTF to PDF, etc.  Can cocoon do this?  Thanks.

Well...

Word, PDF and RTF are not XML in their native formats.

Word can produce an XML document describing something that you want -
I'm not sure how nice it is to interpret.

Anyway, assuming you can get Word, PDF and RTF into XML, it's not too
bad to create a stylesheet that outputs XSL:FO (depending on how
exacting you want your output to be).  FOP will then create RTF and PDF
from your FO.  To be honest, the RTF generation doesn't work nearly as
well as for PDF, but I haven't tried other than setting the rendering
target so I may well have done something wrong.

Cocoon is a publishing framework at heart, it is the ideal basis for
what you want to do, but you may have to write some components yourself,
unless somebody knows better.

It's an excellent starting point, anyway.

Ben Pope.