cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Nick Goupinets <ngoupin...@openskysolutions.ca>
Subject Re: Interportlet communication
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:16:18 GMT
Hi Simeon,

That's pretty easy to pass information (not events) between coplets.
There is of course default ways of doing it with cl:link stuff. Just
check the sample portal, image gallery coplets. I think that this is a
bit tedious and not particularly convenient if flow is available.

With flow, that's how info can be passed

1) get portal service and set portal name there
2) get portal component manager
3) get profile manager
4) get coplet instance data
5) set any attributes in this coplet instance data

They can later be used in the sitemap for example by putting something
like that:
<map:parameter name="textID" value="{coplet:attributes/textID}"/>

here is flow code:

var service = null;
try {
   // get portal service
   service = cocoon.getComponent(
	org.apache.cocoon.portal.PortalService.ROLE);
   service.setPortalName("portal");

   // get profile manager
   var componentManager = service.getComponentManager();
   var profileManager = componentManager.getProfileManager();

   var cid = profileManager.getCopletInstanceData(copletId);
   // ADD OR REMOVE ANY ATTRIBUTES HERE
   // CHECK API FOR CopletInstanceData
} catch ( e ) {
   cocoon.log.info("Error");
}
finally {
   cocoon.releaseComponent( service );
}

Working with events is more complicated. Coplets are not themselves
components so it's merely impossible to subscribe them for an event. You
will need a cocoon component that implements publisher or subscriber
interface. It will perform event processing. Here is what needs to be done:

1) create a new portal event type (or reuse some of the existing ones).
it should hold all the necessary information for the step (2)
2) create new cocoon component that will be responsible for
publishing/subscribing to the events from (1)
3) register component from (2) with the portal event manager (can be
done at the run time)

Now you are ready for working with events. Please refer to the cocoon
web site for the details how to carry out the actual processing (i.e.
fire them off, publish, subscribe, etc.)

General hints are:
1) if you need to fire event immediately - just publish it
2) if you need to fire event on *any* click in the portal - use link
service to add event to the link
3) if you need to fire event only in case of a particular link click -
that's where it got tricky for me. I use link service to get the event
encoded as a string. then I pass this string to a coplet where it's
placed into an <a> html tag.

I worked with this stuff quite a bit of time ago (I used cocoon 2.1.5),
so chances are that I missed something and something changed in the
latest version of cocoon. I also hope that there are better ways of
doing the stuff I described. Some feed back is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Nick Goupinets.

Simeon Penev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read  in the 'Event handling' section of the 'Portal engine' documentation that
there is a way to pass

events between portlets. How can i do that? Could someone provide an
example?

> I've seen they are methods in the ManagedCocoonPortlet.java processAction and render,
which are used

to deliver content to the portal. The problem is i cannot find a way to
invoke them by

clicking on a link inside other portlet. What i am trying to accomplish
is to have

the portlets subscribed to a certain type of event, as it is done with
the cocoon components using

the Subscriber interface.