cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Wendell Piez <wap...@mulberrytech.com>
Subject Re: document() function in Saxon 8.3 under Cocoon 2.1.7
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:22:52 GMT
Hi Joerg,

At 01:34 PM 4/8/2005, you wrote:
>(It's really a long time since I heard of you the last time - must have been
>on the MulberryTech XSL list.)

Yep: "home territory" for me. :-)

> > Anyone have a clue as to what's going on? I figured this might be a FAQ,
> > except I'm using the latest-and-greatest. Google gives me only hints like
> > "using the document() function inside Cocoon isn't recommended".
>
>The reason for the hint is a caching issue IIRC. document() should work in
>principle.

Yes. Further research has suggested that problems with it in the past
should have nothing to do with this case. The FAQ warns against document()
and offers intelligible reasons for avoiding it, but apparently it is
supposed to work. I may simply have fallen between two upgrades (since
Saxon is also in flux).

> >From your sitemap snippet I guess you think document() path is resolved
>against sitemap, what's not done AFAIK.

That's good to know. I tried that only as a wild guess, but resolving
against the file system is preferable.

>  This might already be the reason for
>the failure. You can switch to sitemap by using "cocoon:/" pseudo protocol.
>Otherwise the path should be resolved in file system by default.

I will look into this.

It has also been suggested to me that there could be a URI resolution
problem, which I might be able to debug, now there's a baseURI() function.

>Furthermore there should be a log entry when document() fails. But I don't
>know on which log level it logs.

That also gives me a place to dig.

Needless to say, I'll still be grateful for any help. Either I have to find
and fix the bug in my setup, or this will haunt XSLT 2.0 experimenters ...
my use case for document() is a legit one, I think, and there are others.

If anyone else out there is trying Saxon 8.3 and can duplicate this bug (or
not, demonstrating the bug is in my setup), that would also be useful info.

>Hope this helps,

It does, thanks!
Wendell