cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graphs in Cocoon based upon database
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:09:47 GMT
Yves Vindevogel wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2005, at 14:04, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>     Yves Vindevogel wrote:
>
>         Hi Ross,
>         I'm certainly willing to take a look at it. I will eventually
>         chose one (forrest, fins, ....)
>         I have another possibility outside cocoon, and that is using the
>         R language on my postgres database.
>         For now, I would like to go with Cocoon, if it is fast enough,
>         because I can re-use my existing xml descriptions of the pages
>         (the graphs are the same as the pages, but graphical)
>

>     Forrest may help here too since it is a Cocoon based application
>     (see below).
>
> Hmm, I'm not so sure that Forrest will help me much. Forrest seems like
> a way to render content (xml, ...) into webpages.

> All of that is rendered into a report which navigation
> (http://reports.ecseed.com) Mail me offline for username and password if
> you want to look

> So, I guess Forrest is not what I'm looking for in this case.
> Although I use the same techniques.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. You have an XML file and you need to
render it as a report. That is *exactly* what Forrest does (as a
website, a PDF, CSV, Spreadsheet or whatever you need).

However, I'm not necessarily advocating Forrest for your case, only
mentioning that it may help. Whether it does or not is up to you, I
don't know enough about your use case. What I can tell you is that I
have a Forrest app reading content from live sensor readings in an RDMS
and creating reports from that data, complete with graphs. I think that
is what you are trying to do here.

Even if I have misundersttod your use case I believe you *will*
certainly find the the Charts plugin useful since it contains everything
you need to embed JCharts (a graphs/charting package) into a Cocoon app.
Isn't that what you wanted?

Ross