cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andre Juffer <ajuf...@sun3.oulu.fi>
Subject capturing XML in forms
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:02:31 GMT
Hi all,

I am using a WYSIWYG editor where a single user writes a small (X)HTML
document that ultimately is stored in a XML database and is also send
around by email as a newsletter. This all is connected to an email list.
This is a very straightforward application. I made something before
using regular forms (no XHTML content) where the submitted text was
stored in a relational database (with Hibernate). The newsletter simply
consisted of various sub topics.

In the case of the WYSIWYG editor, the only problem to solve is to
preserve the '<' and '>' characters that are submitted to the server.
For instance,

<strong> .. </strong>

is converted into a regular text according to

&lt;strong&gt; .. &lt;/strong&gt;

Capturing XHTML content via forms is something I have never done before
(and is of course not specific to Cocoon). Basically, I guess, one would
have to parse the text and store the result for instance in a DOM
document which is subsequently stored in the XML database, right? Or is
there is more simple or better solution, maybe cocoon can handle this
already? It would very convenient for instance if one could get the form
parameters as XHTML content (instead of string) and use jx to place it
in a XML document which is send to the XML database. I tried this and
this all is very easy to accomplish with Cocoon, except of course the
issue with '<' and '>'.

Thanks for your help,
Andre