cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Reijn <j.re...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Applet Servlet communication
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:56:10 GMT

Carlos Maté wrote:

> Hi,
> My applet expects a string as an answer.
> In the sitemap I want to call a function than  calculates the string
> and send this string to the applet.
> I don't want to serialize any xml document. And if the function is a
> flowscript I don't know how to do it.
> Thanks.

Hi Carlos,

returning a string from cocoon is no problem. This is what you could do
in your sitemap.xmap:

1. Create matcher for your request:

<map:match pattern="request-string.html">
   <map:call function="testfunction"/>
</map:match>

2. Create a flowscript function that does just does something with your
request and calls another pipeline that returns your calculated string:

function testfunction()
{
   var something = "test";
   cocoon.sendPage("returnstring.html", {something:something});
}

See: http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/sitemap.html for more
information.

3. Define the matcher that generates your string:

<map:match pattern="returnstring.html">
   <map:generate src="test.xml" type="jx"/>
   <map:serialize type="text" mime-type="text/plain"/>
</map:match>

In this case the test.xml is a jx template that should look something like:

<jx:template xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0">
    ${something}
</jx:template>

I hope this helps you out.