cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pouring HTML into Cocoon?
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2007 16:36:39 GMT
Hi,

To use Cocoon for this, you'll usually only need to learn how to write
sitemaps (generation, aggregation, transformation), and XSLT if that's
what you're going to use, so it shouldn't be that difficult. Make sure
to avoid being lured by the many shiny things that Cocoon offers, at
least to start with ;-)

> ...  What standard (or at least common :-) flavors of XML
>   markup are used in the Cocoon community?  I've seen a
>   few references to DocBook; is it a reasonable choice?..

It is, but I usually tend to work with "augmented XHTML" files, that
is XHTML for the content parts, and custom models for metadata parts
(in the same document: some elements are XHTML-like, others are mine).

DocBook is good if you need to exchange content with others, or to use
DocBook-based tools, but if your content stays "internal" it might not
be worth the effort.

> ...  What tool(s) exist to convert random HTML into Cocoon-
>   friendly XML?  HTML Tidy is a good start, but XHTML
>   isn't (for example) DocBook.....

NekoHTML usually does a better job than JTidy for me. Both are
available as generators in the html block, see
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/samples/blocks/html/welcome
and the corresponding source code (under src/blocks/html/samples in
the Cocoon source code).

Hope this helps,
-Bertrand