cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Winnall <st...@winnall.ch>
Subject Re: re-design of sitemaps
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:39:14 GMT
Thanks for the reply:

On 6 Jun 2007, at 14:10, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Stephen Winnall wrote:
>> Has anyone given any thought to a re-design of Cocoon's sitemaps
>> in one of the new versions of Cocoon? I can see scope for
>> improvement in the following areas:
>> 1) modularisation
>
> Cocoon 2.2 uses the servlet-service framework. See http://
> cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g2/g2/g1/1291.html

That looks interesting, in particular the use of Maven. I find no
mention of OSGI in this context, however. Is this no longer a course
being pursued in the Cocoon project?

>> 3) definition of a sitemap schema
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/schema/sitemap/cocoon-sitemap-1.0.xsd
>
>> 4) requirement that sitemaps validate against that schema (would
>> make it easier to write sitemap tools)
>
> validation is off by default but can be activated, again only in
> Cocoon 2.2

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was impossible to
write a complete XML schema for the current version of the sitemap. I
thought all attempts hitherto were only approximations. One of the
major problems is that any extensions a user writes (actions,
transformations, etc.) might introduce new elements and attributes
into the sitemap which the schema cannot know about a priori. I was
looking for a solution where any valid sitemap could be validated
against the schema, which seems to me to imply a change in the
structure of sitemaps.

Would it be right to say that the intention of this XML schema is
only to support a simple subset of all possible current Cocoon
sitemaps? Can one then provide the missing functionality by writing
one's own blocks using the servlet-service framework?

Steve