cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jason Johnston <jjohns...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Starting with Cocoon
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:57:54 GMT
Mansour wrote:
> This was not help at all.
> What is the part that is hard to understand in my first question?
> I asked about how to write a small hello world application from scratch
 > and dump it in my tomcat/webapp. I Struts2, I include the jars in the
 > WEB-INF/lib and configure web.xml and other files.

It sounds like you've got some preconceived expectations about how
Cocoon works.  This is understandable if you've worked with other
frameworks like Struts, but you must understand that Cocoon is a very
different beast than most frameworks.

One of the nice things about Cocoon is that it is a complete framework
layer sitting above the J2EE/servlet environment, so it abstracts you
away from all the nitty-gritty stuff like configuring web.xml.  Rather
than you having to go through the work of writing a web.xml and other
configuration files from scratch, you take the ones shipped with the
Cocoon distribution and use them as-is.  You can of course customize
them to your heart's content, but in most cases (certainly for a Hello
World app) there is no need.  You just take the pre-assembled webapp
that the build process produces, which has all the configuration and jar
files necessary for running Cocoon already in place, and start right in
with modifying the sitemap.xmap to build your app.

If using Cocoon 2.1.x, you run the build and it creates a
fully-functional webapp (unpacked war) under build/webapp/.  You can
start right there modifying sitemap.xmap to create your Hello World
page.  By default there are lots of samples included in the webapp
(including several Hello World type pages) which you can examine to see
how things work.  Of course once you start creating a real app of your
own you won't want all those samples in there so you can exclude them
from the initial build.

If using Cocoon 2.2 (currently in pre-release) the process is a bit
different since it uses Maven to create "blocks", but actually makes the
process simpler and much cleaner to get a minimal working Cocoon app up
and running.  You still don't have to worry at all about web.xml or
other low-level configurations.  See the "Getting Started" green box on
the main cocoon.apache.org page for tutorials on that.

I hope this is of some help.  You just have to remember that Cocoon is
very different than all other Java-based webapp frameworks out there,
and therefore often requires that you think in very different ways.  I'm
sure some people don't like to do that, but many of us (me included)
much prefer the "Cocoon way of thinking" for its elegant and robust
concepts, and find it difficult going back.

Best of luck!
--Jason