cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Gautam Ganguly" <gautam...@gmail.com>
Subject Cocoon 2.2.x upgrade related help
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:06:03 GMT
dear Cocooners..
  My configuration is:
  1. JDK: 1.6.x
  2. Tomcat: 6.x
  3. Cocoon: 2.2.x
  4. OS: Win 2K Advanced Server

  I have used Cocoon since early 2.0.4 up until 2.1.10.So to upgrade to
2.2.x version,i am trying to put 1 and 1 together..
  So this are my queries...

  [QUERY-1] : deals with how all the entities work together

  [Pre-2.2 Version]

  1. Request gets submitted
  2. Cocoon Application running inside the Tomcat Container,gets hold of the
request
  3. Based on the Sitemap settings,all request for a certain url gets
forwarded to the
     Cocoon based web-app say GSite.
  4. GSite processes the request based on Sitemap settings for that request
URL and
     sends the response back.

  which as i have always picturized inside my head is that :
  -->Tomcat is the container object for Cocoon,
          --> Cocoon in turn is the 'container' object to my web-app.
         --> So if for some reason, Cocoon changes, GSite needs to be
changed too..

  [2.2 Version]
  ------------------
  1. Request gets submitted
  2. GSite web-app running inside the Tomcat Container,gets hold of the
request
  3. GSite processes the request based on Sitemap settings for that request
URL and submits the response back.

  ..if you think so far what i understand is right,then does that mean
that..
  1. GSite is now is now a Spring based web-app,
  2. where Spring framework helps GSite get hold of necessary Cocoon
dependencies to fulfill the request.
  3. So if something inside cocoon changes, my web-app keeps chugging on??

  if i was a cocoon newbie..i could have not got mudlled up like this,but
then having been a cocoon user..
  i have all this baggage that i can't seem to let go off!! Hope,you all can
make me see the right way..:)

  [QUERY-2] : deals with how to generate a war to use it in Tomcat
  I have tested used the steps given in
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1159_1_1.html,to build the test app.
  Works fine so far, but since i am so used to building war files, how do i
do that, if this are the following steps that
  i have followed. I did take help of the link:
http://marc.info/?t=119530014900006&r=1&w=4., which kinda helpmed me but not

  that much.So this are the following steps that i have followed,i need some
help with the final steps..
  1. I create the block using mvn archetype..
  2. when i do the mvn jetty:run, it works..but
  3. how do i generate the war file to use it in Tomcat.

  I did try all of these,in the /getting-started-app/myBlock1 dir:
  1. mvn clean
  2. mvn war:war --> cribs about not finding the web.xml file ..

  [INFO] Error assembling WAR: Deployment descriptor:
  D:\GG\cocoon-
2.2\apps\getting-started-app\myBlock1\target\myBlock1-1.0\WEB-INF\web.xmldoes
not exist.

  so i tried running,
  1. mvn clean
  2. Changed packaging info in POM.xml under myBlock1 from jar to war
  3. mvn war:war [OR] mvn cocoon:deploy-war --> same error as above

  Can someone help me figure all this out,please ??

  thanks,
  Gautam