cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Gautam Ganguly" <gautam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2.x upgrade related help
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:42:46 GMT

> DispatcherServlet is part of Servlet Service Framework, quite new
> invention of Cocoon community. If
> you want to read a little bit more about its function take a look here:
>
> http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs-servlet-service-impl/g1/1412.html
>
> Docs for SSF are not finished yet (lack of time) but you should get at
> least rough idea about its
> function. If you have any comments about this particular document don't
> hesitate to express them.
> I'll get back to finishing this document quite shortly so any feedback is
> more than welcome.

  i  will have to take a look at it..because as you could have guessed by
now..i need to!!

> >     >   2. where Spring framework helps GSite get hold of necessary
> Cocoon
> >     > dependencies to fulfill the request.
> >
> >     Not sure what do you mean. Could you explain a little bit more?
> >

> >   I think what i got mixed up,is to look at Spring as a seperate
> > entity,instead of just Cocoon,which hides me from Spring.
> >   Which means that my web-app, doesn't talk to Spring directly instead i
> > just deal with cocoon as i used to and cocoon takes care of the rest.
>
> You are right to some extent. I mean, Cocoon setups Spring on its own and
> hides most low-level
> details of this framework. However, every new component (e.g. generator)
> in 2.2 is just a casual
> Spring bean. It means that it can benefit from all Spring features like
> Dependency Injection,
> support for transactions, scoped beans, etc.

 now i am getting the view of the model :)

> > The reason behind all these?
> > 1. We have 2 web-apps in our organization: One uses Cocoon and the other
> > uses Spring.
> > 2. On finding out that Cocoon-2.2 uses Spring instead of Avalon, i
> > thought may be we can combine this too apps together.
> > 3.  This new single web-app will use Cocoon-2.2 as its easy to move over
> > the front end to Cocoon .Also we can then re-use the code base in the
> > spring based app by making direct calls to them from inside this new
> > cocoon-2.2 based web-app.
> > 4. Its just a idea so far but first i need to upgrade the existing
> > cocoon-2.1.10 app over to Cocoon-2.2 ....
>
> As long as your both applications are in the same Spring's application
> context they can reference to
> beans of each other.
>
> >     You cannot make a full blown webapp ready to be installed in Tomcat
> >     from block directly. Instead
> >     just follow this tutorial:
> >     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1362_1_1.html
> >
> >    i followed the steps as listed in the link (minus anything dealing
> > with myBlock2).Running, mvn install at the getting-started-app
> > directory, which i get the following error..
> >
> >     [INFO]

> >     [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> >     [INFO]

> >     [INFO] Internal error in the plugin manager executing goal
> >     'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:2.0.2:war ': Unable to
> >     find the mojo 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:2.0.2:war'
> >     in the plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin'
> >     Component descriptor cannot be found in the component repository:
> >
> org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojoorg.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:2.0.2:war
> .
> >

> >    ...don't know what i am missing here???
>

> Argh, you are not the first one mentioning this error. It's quite
> interesting that I haven't managed
> to reproduce it on different machines to date. Anyway, you got this error
> after executing following
> commands:
> cd myCocoonWebapp
> mvn clean package
>
> It's crucial here that you execute this command in myCocoonWebapp
> directory. Report if you get the
> same error, then.

  that did it!!.. yes i had been running those commands from the parent dir.
which in this case was = getting-started-app

  Since the web-app that i am in the process of upgrading is huge, i think i
will keep pestering you all again..;)

  i do appreciate your help..thank you!
  Gautam