cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2.x upgrade related help
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:05:50 GMT
Gautam Ganguly pisze:

> Which  is exactly the way it was before..except for the Dispatcher
> Servlet..i get that!

DispatcherServlet is part of Servlet Service Framework, quite new invention of Cocoon community.
If
you want to read a little bit more about its function take a look here:
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs-servlet-service-impl/g1/1412.html

Docs for SSF are not finished yet (lack of time) but you should get at least rough idea about
its
function. If you have any comments about this particular document don't hesitate to express
them.
I'll get back to finishing this document quite shortly so any feedback is more than welcome.

>     >   2. where Spring framework helps GSite get hold of necessary Cocoon
>     > dependencies to fulfill the request.
>
>     Not sure what do you mean. Could you explain a little bit more?
>

>   I think what i got mixed up,is to look at Spring as a seperate
> entity,instead of just Cocoon,which hides me from Spring.
>   Which means that my web-app, doesn't talk to Spring directly instead i
> just deal with cocoon as i used to and cocoon takes care of the rest.

You are right to some extent. I mean, Cocoon setups Spring on its own and hides most low-level
details of this framework. However, every new component (e.g. generator) in 2.2 is just a
casual
Spring bean. It means that it can benefit from all Spring features like Dependency Injection,
support for transactions, scoped beans, etc.

> The reason behind all these?
> 1. We have 2 web-apps in our organization: One uses Cocoon and the other
> uses Spring.
> 2. On finding out that Cocoon-2.2 uses Spring instead of Avalon, i
> thought may be we can combine this too apps together.
> 3.  This new single web-app will use Cocoon-2.2 as its easy to move over
> the front end to Cocoon .Also we can then re-use the code base in the
> spring based app by making direct calls to them from inside this new
> cocoon-2.2 based web-app.
> 4. Its just a idea so far but first i need to upgrade the existing
> cocoon-2.1.10 app over to Cocoon-2.2 ....

As long as your both applications are in the same Spring's application context they can reference
beans of each other.

>     You cannot make a full blown webapp ready to be installed in Tomcat
>     from block directly. Instead
>     just follow this tutorial:
>     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1362_1_1.html
>
>    i followed the steps as listed in the link (minus anything dealing
> with myBlock2).Running, mvn install at the getting-started-app
> directory, which i get the following error..
>
>     [INFO]
>
>     [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>     [INFO]
>     [INFO] Internal error in the plugin manager executing goal
>     'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:2.0.2:war ': Unable to
>     find the mojo 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:2.0.2:war'
>     in the plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin'
>     Component descriptor cannot be found in the component repository:
>     org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojoorg.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:2.0.2:war.
>

>    ...don't know what i am missing here???

Argh, you are not the first one mentioning this error. It's quite interesting that I haven't
managed
to reproduce it on different machines to date. Anyway, you got this error after executing
following
commands:
cd myCocoonWebapp
mvn clean package

It's crucial here that you execute this command in myCocoonWebapp directory. Report if you
get the
same error, then.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski