cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: Is there an "url wildcard" selector (equivalent)
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:17:52 GMT

Hi Rainer,

On Feb 21, 2008, at 5:49 AM, Rainer Pruy wrote:

> Hi,
> probably a question with a simple answer.
> However, I just failed up to now in getting at it.....
>
> wildcard *matcher* is one of the most used components with cocoon,
> I'd reckon.
>
> But what to do, when one needs to handle X/c/** and X/** (excluding
> X/c/**) different?
> (At least if the contained components are not "final" (serialize,
> read))
>
> ("X" is an arbitrary path, not having any single path component "c";
> while "c" is a simple path component (no "/"))
>
> Using combinations of wildcard macher and simple selector does work,
> but is quite verbose.
> A "not c" pattern is not generally available (decomposing c into
> positive and negative set patterns
> might work, but will be even more writing for c's that include
> several characters).
>
> Any selector I did miss?

A while back, I made a proposal for dealing with this and other
closely related issues.  I noticed that Cocoon was missing some
matchers and selectors that would be really nice to have, and when I
looked at maybe contributing some of the missing ones, I realized that
the whole matching and selecting business in Cocoon is kind of brain-
damaged.  You might find this interesting:

	http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/68380/focus=68408

Note, I said "interesting", not "helpful"... sorry :-)

That proposal didn't go anywhere because I started medical school and
didn't have any time to work on implementing it.  But, summer is
coming, so who knows?

cheers,
—ml—