cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Rice Yeh <rice...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CForms Serialization
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 03:55:09 GMT
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Ralph Rauscher <
rra@blue-elephant-systems.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a case where I have a really large form that would require several
> sessions to be valid and I'd like to allow users to persist their work (even
> if the form is invalid) and continue working on it later.
>
> As the cforms binding will throw all kinds of exceptions in this case I
> thought about serializing the Form object using standard Java object
> serialization.
>
> So far Form and the classes it's derived from do not implement
> Serializable, which would be easy to fix. I saw a remark though by Sylvain
> where he mentions
>
> /"a form contains its own data model, which can be serialized, but also
> pointers to its definition, which is shared between form instances and can
> contain arbitrary references to non-serializable objects and components"

Just a little thinking to share when I studied cform before. I think that it
is a bad design to have cform having a reference to its definition.  Once a
cform instance is instantiated, it should get rid of its definition and is
allowed to modify its structure for more flexible manipulation.