cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Legg <david.l...@searchevent.co.uk>
Subject Re: AW: AW: [C2.2] Display Upload Progress
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:25:32 GMT

David Legg wrote:
> If you look for the pom.xml file in the [Cocoon trunk folder]/parent
> folder you will see the dependency for cocoon-core listed as follows: -
>
>      <dependency>
>        <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>
>        <artifactId>cocoon-core</artifactId>
>        <version>2.2.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>      </dependency>
>
> As all the other blocks refer to this parent pom file that's where the
> version number is set.  The Cocoon developers could have put the
> version number in each block's local pom.xml file but in a large
> project like Cocoon it makes more sense to set the version number in
> one place only.

Having thought this through some more I realize what I said is not
strictly true.  The version numbers specified by the pom file in the
'parent' folder sets the version number that all other artifacts that
depend on this artifact should ask for.  The version number specified in
the artifact's local pom file effectively sets the version number of
this artifact when it gets built.

So to make this clearer if we take the 'cocoon-core' artifact; it's
pom.xml file is defined in [cocoon trunk]\core\cocoon-core\pom.xml.  It
contains a couple of lines as follows: -

  <artifactId>cocoon-core</artifactId>
  <version>2.2.1-SNAPSHOT</version>

These effectively set the version number of this artifact when it gets
built.

However as I showed in my earlier email the pom.xml file in [cocoon
trunk]\parent\pom.xml also specifies a version number (hopefully the
same one!) and this is the one that other artifacts will look for if
they express a dependency on it.

I also realized that maybe I should explain a bit more about the
difference between the development version of Cocoon and the 'released'
version.  The development version is obviously managed in a subversion
repository.  As this is usually in a state of flux it is quite common to
set the version numbers defined by some code to end in -SNAPSHOT.  This
tells maven to check the repository to see if a slightly more up to date
version is ready.  However, you should never see a version ending in
-SNAPSHOT on the public maven repository.  In theory when a release is
made only non-snapshot versions are copied onto the repository.

HTH
David Legg