cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Rauscher <...@blue-elephant-systems.com>
Subject Re: CForms Serialization
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:41:51 GMT
Rice Yeh wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Ralph Rauscher
> <rra@blue-elephant-systems.com <mailto:rra@blue-elephant-systems.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I have a case where I have a really large form that would require
>     several sessions to be valid and I'd like to allow users to
>     persist their work (even if the form is invalid) and continue
>     working on it later.
>
>     As the cforms binding will throw all kinds of exceptions in this
>     case I thought about serializing the Form object using standard
>     Java object serialization.
>
>     So far Form and the classes it's derived from do not implement
>     Serializable, which would be easy to fix. I saw a remark though by
>     Sylvain where he mentions
>
>     /"a form contains its own data model, which can be serialized, but
>     also pointers to its definition, which is shared between form
>     instances and can contain arbitrary references to non-serializable
>     objects and components"
>

> Just a little thinking to share when I studied cform before. I think
> that it is a bad design to have cform having a reference to its
> definition.  Once a cform instance is instantiated, it should get rid
> of its definition and is allowed to modify its structure for more
> flexible manipulation.
I think that would help. Currently the reference to the definition will
be used for even the most basic operations though, like creating the SAX
fragments for field widgets - so it might be somewhat of a bigger task
to clear that up. Should we take this to the dev list?

>     /So, is it possible?
>
>     Thanks.

Ralph Rauscher

 blue elephant systems GmbH
 Wollgrasweg 49
 D-70599 Stuttgart

 Tel   :    (+49) 0711 - 451017 574
 Fax   :    (+49) 0711 - 451017 573
 e-mail:    rra@blue-elephant-systems.com
 Sitz  :    Stuttgart, Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 24106
 Geschäftsführer: Joachim Hörnle, Thomas Gentsch, Holger Dietrich