cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mika Lehtonen <m...@digikartta.net>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:06:25 GMT
Hi Fernando,

I guess you would have to produce your PDF (PS) through Apache FOP.
According to my experience, you can easily end up into big troubles with
it, because

a) you have to design your templates by coding and if there is a
graphical editor available for XSL-FO (don't know), you still end up
into troubles,
b) because FOP is still quite far from the standard (see:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html), especially 0.20.5.

On the other hand, after you have created templates, it does work well.
But as said, if your needs are demanding, it can happen so that FOP
isn't yet ready enough. Also the whole XSL-FO is a little "stiff". And
this would only cover one or two formats.. You still need to create
stylesheets ("templates") to other formats as well.

- mika -