cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Winnall <st...@winnall.ch>
Subject Re: XSLT is Dead ?!
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:34:30 GMT
I think a lot of the anti-XSLT sentiment comes from people who don't
see the point of XML.

XML and its philosophy are far too complicated for the average
designer-cum-website-hacker. This is neither a criticism of XML nor of
the d-c-w-h. XML and tools which make use of it and fairly advanced
IT, and enable complicated integration projects (such as one might
conduct with Cocoon). If you don't have a training in IT and don't
share a broader vision like the semantic web, you may crave "simpler"
tools for simple websites. And if you think you don't need XML, you
certainly won't think you need XSLT or any other XML-based technology.

I agree with the point in previous posts about Cocoon's learning curve
being too daunting. I wonder if it would be easier if we had more XML-
based tools which hid XML itself from the user. For example, graphical
tools for the sitemap or for generating XSLT which hide the grisly XML
bits from the user. Speaking personally, I don't feel that XML is a
thing of beauty on the surface: but it certainly has deeper virtues!

Just some idle rambling on a Saturday evening...

Steve