cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject RE: Map serialize flowscript output
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 13:26:02 GMT
Agreed - I learnt using DEF is key to more maintainable and readable
code...

>>> On 2009/05/12 at 03:09, in message
<7C655C04B6F59643A1EF66056C0E095E023CC651@eusex01.sweden.ecsoft>,
"Robby Pelssers" <robby.pelssers@ciber.nl> wrote:

If I have time this week I might try to create a more advanced tutorial
on creating SVG.

-          Use xml data as input for the images
-          The images show basic animation and hyperlinks

I can*t really point you to good material at the moment.  At the time
I did that project (2002) I just googled a lot and created the SVG*s
by hand.  After that project I completely was thinking in
matrix/coordinates ;-)

The most difficult stuff I encountered was finding clever algorithms to
position my SVG elements on the canvas and having my elemens scale
automatically if the use case had to many svg elements to be drawn.

Just some quick example of links in SVG:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"

    <a xlink:href="http://cocoon.apache.org/">
        <text x="10" y="20">Apache Cocoon</text>
    </a>
</svg>

Take a quick look at http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/  for additional info.

If you were to create the SVG with xslt, you could create a template.

Suppose your input looks like:
<favourites>
  <favourite>
    <description>Google: Search engine</description>
   <url>http://www.google.com</url>
  </favourite>
  <favourite>
    <description>Apache Cocoon: Java web development
framework</description>
   <url>http://cocoon.apache.org/ </url>
  </favourite>
</favourites>

Xslt snippet:

<xsl:template mactch=*favourite*>
  <a xlink:href="http://cocoon.apache.org/">
   <xsl:attribute name=*xlink:href* select=*url* />  <!*not
100% sure anymore if this will work with prefix:elementname à
   <text x="10" y="20"><xsl:value-of select=*description*
/></text>
  </a>
</xsl:template>

One thing to note:  Take a look at
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#DefsElement

I did not use this back then but I think it will make life easier and
your code more reusable and maintainable.

Cheers,
Robby