cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ivan Latysh <ivanlat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Webapp structure
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:41:02 GMT
Mansour Al Akeel wrote:

> This is exactely the questions I had when I started with cocoon. It will
> help a bit (IMO) to think in terms of operating system. Cocoon web
> application is like an operating system, it does nothing by it's self
> except managing the resources and communicating with the underlying
> servlet container, so we can call it cocoon platform. Now, the platform
> is very generic piece of software an does nothing by itself, so we need
> programs to run (utilities). In cocoon world, we call these utilies
> blocks. Like an operating system managing process communications
> internally and allow programs to talk to each others, cocoon does the
> same thing to the blocks. Every block runs in its own space, and cocoon
> allows them to talk to each other to deliver some functionality.
>
> If you are into linux, you should be familiar with utilities and how
> they communicate (ie. pipes). This is exaclty the same concept but
> instead of pipes cocoon uses sax events.
>
> A block in cocoon can be created in anyway. It's just a jar file with
> specific layout. We don't really need maven to create this jar, but
> maven makes it easy, and less errors. You can still create a block
> manually, file by file, and then zip them in a jar file, and there we
> go. Maven helps us manage the blocks dependencies as well. Cocoon web
> applications and the blocks are not dependent on maven, but it's easier.

Thank you I have got the general idea, the issue is that I was missing
"Cocoon-Block-Name: myBlock1" in the manifest. And doc's say nothing about it.

It is an irony, that it took me a day to summon a simple Cocoon webapp when I have a few open-source
projects of my own,
and one of them is a web framework ...

I am interesting to see how Cocoon have implemented XML Pipelines.

--
Ivan Latysh
IvanLatysh@gmail.com