cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Beasley <david.beas...@publishingtechnology.com>
Subject Re: Starting out with Cocoon 2.2
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:44:13 GMT
Thanks for everyone's responses.

I'm beginning to think that I should use Cocoon 2.0, because at least I
know this is well documented. Which is a shame after people have put a
lot of effort into developing versions 2.1 and 2.2 ...

David Legg wrote:
 > Most of the useful documentation can be found here: -
 >
 > http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/2.2/1159_1_1.html

Thanks, yes, I'd already looked at that. Its a handy starting point, but
it really only scratches the surface.

 > But you should be aware that this is the 'published' version of the
 > documentation.  It may be the case that the 'unpublished' versions are
 > more up to date.  To get to them you can click on the link at the bottom
 > of the page where it mentions 'Errors and Improvements'.  This link will
 > take you to the Daisy CMS which is what Cocoon members use to write and
 > edit documentation before it gets published.

Thanks, I've taken a look. I can see that there's low level
documentation there, but not much to give me an overview, put things
into context, show how everything hangs together.

 > I would say think seriously before you commit another year or two of
 > your life to learning it!

Do you really think that's how long it takes to become proficient in
using Cocoon?!

I was hoping to knock this off in a few weeks. Isn't that the point of
application development frameworks like Cocoon - to make development
times an order of magnitude faster?

regards
David Beasley