cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Use Case for Cocoon with JSF?
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:24:24 GMT
Before you undertake this it would be wise to understand your use case better. Earlier this
year we did some benchmarking by creating some portlets using JSF and IceFaces and determined
that they would not even come close to scaling to our requirements. The same use cases reimplemented
using Spring MVC and JQuery or GWT had no problem scaling.   If your use cases are heavy-weight
applications with multi-page flows then JSF would still make sense, especially if your load
isn't all that high.

As for using Cocoon for the UI, given the state of UI technologies I don't think I'd recommend
Cocoon for that any more. However, for manipulating XML-based content it is still a great
way to go. For example, converting content in a CMS from XML to HTML, PDFs, etc.

Ralph

On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:34 AM, Wendy Bossons wrote:

> I take it no one can come up with a use case for Cocoon with JSF. . . so I will consider
my rewrite as a new JSF application, without Cocoon. That seems to make the most sense.

> ..\Wendy
>

> Wendy Bossons
> Web Developer
>
> Contact Information:
> wbossons@mit.edu
> 617-253-0770
>

> On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Wendy Bossons wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new to Cocoon . . . however, the project on which I'm now working is Cocoon
based and has a significant code base . . . I would like to create a JSF frontend to this
application, have been given the go ahead to do so.

>> As I begin, however, I'm finding only older resources on the web regarding integrating
JSF and Cocoon (circa 2004) . . . and in the end, these end up back in the Cocoon pipeline
as XML/XSL transformations. So I'm wondering what's the use case for integrating the two?
My initial hope was to simplify the user interface and to take advantage of the many features
of some extended JSF framework like IceFaces.

>> Can someone speak to this idea ... what is the use case(s) for moving to JSF if it
all ends up in an XSL transformation in Cocoon?