cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Use Case for Cocoon with JSF?
Date Sat, 19 Dec 2009 07:43:47 GMT
Actually, I could agree with that, although there are other choices - such as having GWT use
JSON objects.  As I reread your comment it occurs to me that you are actually agreeing. Using
Cocoon to generate and process XML is what it excels at. Feeding that XML to a UI component
is certainly a great way to use Cocoon. But there are better choices now other than having
Cocoon manage the whole web page or site and dynamically generate the page content.

Ralph

On Dec 17, 2009, at 7:36 AM, Andreas Kuehne wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> I would like to give a slightly different view :
>
> As a server for XML requests coming from the Ajax UI implementation ( and probably serving
the web pages ) Cocoon _is_ the recommended way to serve a state-of-the-art UI !

> Greetings
>
> Andreas

this year we did some benchmarking by creating some portlets using JSF and IceFaces and determined
that they would not even come close to scaling to our requirements. The same use cases reimplemented
using Spring MVC and JQuery or GWT had no problem scaling.   If your use cases are heavy-weight
applications with multi-page flows then JSF would still make sense, especially if your load
isn't all that high.

> As for using Cocoon for the UI, given the state of UI technologies I don't think I'd
recommend Cocoon for that any more. However, for manipulating XML-based content it is still
a great way to go. For example, converting content in a CMS from XML to HTML, PDFs, etc.

> Ralph
>
> On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:34 AM, Wendy Bossons wrote:
>
>> I take it no one can come up with a use case for Cocoon with JSF. . . so I will consider
my rewrite as a new JSF application, without Cocoon. That seems to make the most sense.

>> ..\Wendy
>>

>> Wendy Bossons
>> Web Developer
>>
>> Contact Information:
>> wbossons@mit.edu
>> 617-253-0770
>>

>> On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Wendy Bossons wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am new to Cocoon . . . however, the project on which I'm now working is Cocoon
based and has a significant code base . . . I would like to create a JSF frontend to this
application, have been given the go ahead to do so.

>>> As I begin, however, I'm finding only older resources on the web regarding integrating
JSF and Cocoon (circa 2004) . . . and in the end, these end up back in the Cocoon pipeline
as XML/XSL transformations. So I'm wondering what's the use case for integrating the two?
My initial hope was to simplify the user interface and to take advantage of the many features
of some extended JSF framework like IceFaces.

>>> Can someone speak to this idea ... what is the use case(s) for moving to JSF
if it all ends up in an XSL transformation in Cocoon?