cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon caching with multiple pipelines
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 13:29:26 GMT
Hi Robin,

Am 27.04.11 12:49, schrieb Robin Taylor:
> It looks like the default generator is an extension of FileGenerator
> that I assume takes as input the output from the<map:serialize
> type="xml"/>  step in the preceding pipeline.

what do you mean with "preceding pipeline"? What exactly does the custom
FileGenerator use as the source? A hard-coded cocoon:/ call?

> I also assume therefore
> that the FileGenerator uses the incoming xml to build its validity
> object and therefore spots that it has changed ?

No, the standard FileGenerator uses the validity of the source. The
incoming XML cannot be used, since it would have to be re-generated to
spot changes, which kind-of renders the caching mechanism useless.
Typical source validities are based on last modification dates,
expiration times and similar concepts. Example: If you pass a file URI
to the FileGenerator, the last modification date of the file is used. If
you pass a cocoon:/ URI to the generator, the validity of the
corresponding SitemapSource (representing the result of the called
pipeline) is used.

HTH,

-- Andreas

--