cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Paul Joseph <pjos...@gmail.com>
Subject scaling problem
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:41:35 GMT
Hi there,

I have been supporting a cocoon app for several years and it has been
quite successful when about 10 users are accessing it at the same time,
in the 32 bit Windows/Tomcat envrionment.

Now, the app is being used by larger groups and in higher numbers.  So I
put it on in Windows 64 bit, using the new JDK 7 64 bit release and
Tomcat 64, all on a server class machine.

I specified max memory to be 3500 MB.

A recent load test showed that searches are a problem.  When a user runs
a search and retrieves 1000 records, after several users doing this
several times, the JVM runs out of memory.

I estimate it takes a retrieval of a total of 500,000 records (adding up
each user's queries) before the server runs out of memory...

I tried the new garbage collector by specifying in Tomcat's Java options
-XX:+UseG1GC  but this seems to have little effect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thx.
Paul