cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: thought I had fixe it
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:23:49 GMT
On 2011-10-24 19:17, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:
> On 24 October 2011 18:55, Leszek Gawron <lgawron@apache.org
> <mailto:lgawron@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     @Jasha: advising a user to limit the amount of data usually does not
>     work. :)
>

> You can tell the user his search query has a result of 25000 items but I
> guess he doesn't want them all in 1 screen. Postprocessing that amount
> of items can be tried but many have failed before...

It you use cocoon as REST service this might not be that bad idea. Using
cocoon I am feeding mobile devices with sync data. Rowsets of 120k
records are not that uncommon. Cocoon is actually one of few (if there
is anything else) frameworks that is to push this much dynamic data into
HTTP response in streaming - the memory footprint on server is minimal
when using a custom generator that "converts" ResultSet right into SAX
events.

Still you're right: presenting this much data on a web page is a sign of
poor design (or stupid customer requirements - sometimes they just don't
listen :) )

	lg

--
Leszek Gawron                            http://lgawron.posterous.com