cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Matthias Müller <pym...@yahoo.de>
Subject [C2.2] Bad performance with Cocoon/Tomcat
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:51:38 GMT
I'm running a Cocoon 2.2 Webapp on a Tomcat 7 Server and facing some performance issues.
I do some aggregations of large xml files, transform them multiple times
 and finally serialize the streams to pdf that could contain > 1000
pages. These input xml files grew over the last years and so did the
output. For that I had to adjust the jvm settings again and again. Since
 we're running Tomcat in an 32bit environment I now reached the max of
1600 mb of memory that could be allocated for the jvm. Now my Cocoon
sometimes quits with Java Heap Space issues.
I ended up reproducing my Cocoon tasks sporadically with Ant. And I wonder: the whole process
is about 3 times faster than with
Cocoon on Tomcat, on a less powerful machine! The needed memory is also
about the half of the memory that is needed by Cocoon on Tomcat.
Is this a Tomcat issue? With Ant I always have to serialize the XML that
 I produce with each step, whereas with Cocoon I hold a XML Stream in
the memory. Is that the problem?

Any ideas, experiences, alternatives are much appreciated

Matthias