cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Robby Pelssers <Robby.Pelss...@nxp.com>
Subject RE: [C2.2] Bad performance with Cocoon/Tomcat
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:58:19 GMT
You first might want to read this thread and let me know  if it still applies.

http://old.nabble.com/memory-leak-in-PoolableProxyHandler-td29023190.html

Robby

From: Matthias Müller [mailto:pymote@yahoo.de]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:52 PM
To: users cocoon.apache.org
Subject: [C2.2] Bad performance with Cocoon/Tomcat

I'm running a Cocoon 2.2 Webapp on a Tomcat 7 Server and facing some performance issues.
I do some aggregations of large xml files, transform them multiple times and finally serialize
the streams to pdf that could contain > 1000 pages. These input xml files grew over the
last years and so did the output. For that I had to adjust the jvm settings again and again.
Since we're running Tomcat in an 32bit environment I now reached the max of 1600 mb of memory
that could be allocated for the jvm. Now my Cocoon sometimes quits with Java Heap Space issues.
I ended up reproducing my Cocoon tasks sporadically with Ant. And I wonder: the whole process
is about 3 times faster than with Cocoon on Tomcat, on a less powerful machine! The needed
memory is also about the half of the memory that is needed by Cocoon on Tomcat.
Is this a Tomcat issue? With Ant I always have to serialize the XML that I produce with each
step, whereas with Cocoon I hold a XML Stream in the memory. Is that the problem?

Any ideas, experiences, alternatives are much appreciated

Matthias