cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject Re: parent of parent artifact?
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 21:09:35 GMT
Thanks, that's very helpful!

We have a lot of  what we call "applications" that run side-by-side
under a single Cocoon 2 instance. They each live under a separate
subfolder (child of "mount/") under the main Cocoon sitemap. Each
"application" has its own sitemap.
It sounds like these "applications" actually correspond to the "blocks"
you describe below.

Is it fair to say that a Cocoon "web app" corresponds to one instance of
Cocoon running? So a "web app" can consist of several blocks?

Lars

On 3/8/2012 12:22 PM, Robby Pelssers wrote:
> Hey Lars,
>
> Great you ask these questions actually and I will try to answer to my best knowledge.
>
> * First of all your understanding of maven archetypes is completely correct.  A maven
archetype is a project that creates a folder structure on your file system where the archetype
itself contains some default resources like e.g. a partially prefilled pom.xml and so on.

> * There is no need to declare any dependency on a cocoon block actually. But since version
2.2 Cocoon uses the servlet service framework.  I would compare a cocoon-block to a sub-webapp
potentially providing some Java components and pipelines which can be invoked from another
cocoon-block.

> To give a concrete example.  At my customer I created 1 cocoon-block called 'shared'
which provides services to fetch files from a XMLDB, Alfresco, file system.  As customer requirements
grew, I created other blocks delivering needed functionality but they all need and use above
described services. So in that case I only needed to declare a dependency on this 'shared'
block.

> That enables me to call this service from another sitemap as e.g.<map:generate src="servlet:shared:/alfresco/{1}"/>
 where {1} is some file identifier.

> * Project / module / archetype and artifact are typical maven terms.
> - Project should need no explanation
> - module can be described as a part of the project
> - archetype is explained above
> - artifact is the thing that gets build when you run mvn package  (a war, jar, ...)
>
> As a end user you should not be creating archetypes, merely using them as shown in the
previous mails. It will generate some skeleton maven projects for you.