cocoon-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject Re: c3: null pointer exception in ResponseHeaderCollector.isModifiedResponse
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:35:50 GMT

On 3/26/2012 9:49 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> On 26/03/2012 16:42, Lars Huttar wrote:
>> I sent this email at the start of the weekend, so it may not have been
>> seen much.
>> However the NPE is blocking progress, so I'd like to see if anyone can
>> help me with it.
>> Anybody have ideas?
> Lars,
> do you have any chance to share your project somewhere (github,
> gitorius...) so that it would be much easier to take a look at it?

Francesco,
I can put it on the web. I'll do that and then let you know where to
find it.

>
>> After the difficulties of the last week or two, I'm starting to wonder
>> if we'd be better off going back to Cocoon 2.1.11. A colleague asked
>> me, why take the risk and time to move to Cocoon 3, when we have
>> Cocoon 2.1.11 working well? I gave the standard "2.1.11 is several
>> years old and will be increasingly unsupported" answer, but I had to
>> admit that the decision was not looking as good now as it seemed last
>> summer when C3 had a recent new alpha and even a beta candidate.
>>
>> Please don't take this as criticism of the Cocoon developers ... I
>> have been continually impressed at the readiness of the committers to
>> debug problems quickly and implement fixes. However I do wonder
>> whether there is just too much debugging left, to reach a stable state
>> in time for our work. Also I am concerned that since there doesn't
>> seem to be a roadmap for feature freeze, there may be no point at
>> which bugs will settle down so that a stable release can be completed.
> Cocoon 3 is alpha state, but you are working on a SNAPSHOT release of
> beta-1: this means that Cocoon 3.0 does not pretend - yet - to be
> officially stable.

Understood.

> Despite of this, I can assure that my company and at least a couple of
> other companies have several production applications based on Cocoon
> 3.0, so my suggestion would be "keep pushing" ;-)
>

Thank you for this encouragement.

On what version of 3.0 do you/they run production apps? alpha-3? beta-1
SNAPSHOT?
Maybe I should go back to alpha-3? (But then I lose some recent bug
fixes you have made in response to my questions over the last week or two.)

I do hope to be able to get C3 working for this project. But I also need
to recognize that it's one thing for a developer to use C3 for
production apps when that developer is personally very familiar and
competent with the tools needed to fix any problems that arise in C3;
it's a very different thing for *me* to do so, a Cocoon user rather than
a Cocoon committer.

Lars


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@cocoon.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@cocoon.apache.org


Mime
View raw message