cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Robby Pelssers <Robby.Pelss...@nxp.com>
Subject RE: Forms and maps
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:40:29 GMT
Although I don't think this mailing list is the appropriate list to discuss these kinds of
issues I will post my final word on this.

Just like we all use Java (at least the ones working with Cocoon) most of us should be fair
to admit that Java's progress is heavily been slowed down by trying to be backwards compatible.
 Lots of newer/cooler/more productive languages have evolved among which to name an example
is Scala.

One of the key arguments for C3 was in fact opening up the opportunity to:
- run a pipeline from command line
- embed cocoon into other frameworks

And although you might have no need for this, I think it enables freedom / choice which is
a great thing.  So C3's mission statement could very well be:
- you choose your favourite (web)stack and we will take care of the XML processing.
- Or you could use C3's REST controllers and stick with 1 single framework

Robby

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark H. Wood [mailto:mwood@IUPUI.Edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:29 PM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Forms and maps

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:34:26AM +0200, Derek Hohls wrote:
> It all depends on your environment and the "rate of change". There are
> many back-end systems (running on old but reliable technology) that
> hardly change at all.  However, the web (and now tablets/mobile) has a
> very high rate of change (and expectation of change).  The point here
> is that by using more loosely-coupled modules then you will only have
> to change the parts that really need to be changed; a monolithic
> approach is less amenable to that.

I think this may actually underscore the O.P.'s point.  Changing the whole world in one go
is the monolithic approach.  The modular approach would enable choosing new mechanisms for
new work and sticking with old, established mechanisms for existing, still-useful work when
that makes sense.  Having to throw out piles of satisfactory working code just to use a dependency
version that still has the attention of its maintainers is really unwelcome.

I think the complaint is that Cocoon 3 is really Butterfly 1.

Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.