Hi,

We have used EXSLT in C2 stylesheets without problems.
Here is an excerpt:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0" xmlns:exslt="http://exslt.org/common">

<xsl:if test="exslt:node-set($content)/checkboxes/checkbox[not(@selected)]">

As far as memory serves, it worked seamlessly with Xalan and Saxon.

Greetings,
Greg

Hi Chris,

Not standard EXSLT functions, but I have loaded extension functions under 2.1.

I’ve just consulted my archives (2006!)…

Firstly, I used a .xweb patch file patch Cocoon’s servlet configuration, in order to pre-load my extension classes using Cocoon's load-class init-param; this was because doing it lazily at run-time created a class-loader race-condition under high load, which caused a random extension class to be called on production, and thus randomly fail with a NoSuchMethod exception, which was perplexing to say the least (so I mention this so you don’t have the same problem!):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xweb xpath="/web-app/servlet[servlet-name='Cocoon']/init-param[param-name='load-class']/param-value" remove="/web-app/servlet[servlet-name='Cocoon']/init-param[param-name='load-class']/param-value/text()"

        <!-- pre-load classes used as XSLT extensions to prevent classloader race-condition under high load -->
        com.xxx.xml.exslt.Dates
        com.xxx.xml.exslt.FileUtils
</xweb>

etc.

This goes into cocoon's src/confpatch directory as e.g. load-class.xweb and patches web.xml, unless you build it some other way.

Then you just write a simple POJO with static methods to do your functionality, e.g. I had a little function for finding a local file-size:

package com.xxx.xml.exslt;

import java.io.File;

public class FileUtils {

        /**
         * returns the size of a file rounded to the nearest Kilobyte.
         * @param fileName
         * @return the file size in KB, or 0 if file not accessible.
         */
    public static long Size(String fileName) {
                 File file = new File(fileName);
                 return ((file.length()+512)/1024);
    }
}

Then to use this from the XSL, you just declare a namespace with the full class name as the URI, and use the prefix and method name as you would use any other function e.g.:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
    xmlns:file=“com.xxx.xml.exslt.FileUtils”>

   <xsl:template match=“something”>
        Size = <xsl:value-of select="file:Size($path)"/>
   </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Hope that works for you: it’s been a long long time since I did anything Cocoony...

Ellis.