commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <martin.coo...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] default log level
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:00:36 GMT
Are you sure they'll think about turning it off before they run out of disk
space? ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Sanders" <ssanders@nextance.com>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 11:21 AM
Subject: RE: [Logging] default log level

Agree, and that has been done now.  But let's use Digester as an
example. The issue that I have is that by default when I plug Digester
into my project, I think that I would just want to trust that it works
and move on (ie ERROR by default), but some take the other approach of
logging a lot and then forcing the developer to set it explictly to a
lesser level.

I can see either.  If I am a newbie stuffing Digester into something,
then maybe INFO is the way to go, by making them understand how to turn
it off, they learn that it actually has this functionality, whereas if
it was at ERROR by default, they might even start stuffing
System.out.println()s everywhere to get it to work.

If I am an experienced Digester user, I just want to plug it.  But on
the other hand, I am probably using Log4J/LogKit and have the default
configured there (ERROR for me).

OK, I convinced myself, with Paolo's help.  INFO shows that the
component is working, forcing the user to think about how to turn it
off.

INFO it is ;-)  (Man, changing the mind is too easy sometimes)
Scott

For additional commands, e-mail: