commons-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Luby <patrick.l...@sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/daemon/src/java/org/apache/commons/launcher ChildMain.java LaunchFilter.java LaunchTask.java LaunchTask_en.properties Launcher.java LauncherClassLoader.java Launche
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:38:36 GMT
Michael,

Actually, "donated by Sun Microsystems, Inc." is really an
overstatement. More correctly, this code was developed by me personally
while I was on unpaid leave from Sun. Also, the current iteration that
was committed to this project was a completely new rewrite from the
Launcher code that I developed for Sun's Java Web Services Developer
Pack. So, as far as legal issues go, I would say that we are OK.

The reason I put it in this project was that there is a desire to
include a Launcher in the Tomcat 5.0 proposal that is currently be voted
on in the tomcat-dev mailing list.

Hope that helps,

Patrick

Michael A. Smith wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2002 patrickl@apache.org wrote:
>
>>patrickl    2002/07/09 22:27:52
>>
>>  Added:       daemon/src/bin launch-ant.bat launch-ant.sh
>>                        launcher.properties launcher.xml
>>               daemon/src/java LauncherBootstrap.java
>>               daemon/src/java/org/apache/commons/launcher ChildMain.java
>>                        LaunchFilter.java LaunchTask.java
>>                        LaunchTask_en.properties Launcher.java
>>                        LauncherClassLoader.java LauncherException.java
>>                        Launcher_en.properties ParentListener.java
>>                        StreamConnector.java
>>  Log:
>>  Initial commit of the Java Launcher tool. This tool, originally
>>developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. for use in its Java Web Services
>>Developer Pack 1.0 product, is being donated to the Apache Software
>>Foundation.
>>
>>  This initial commit consists of working code and working Windows and
>>Unix samples. Documentation for the XML file syntax is still a pending
>>item.
>>
>>  Obtained from: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>

> This sounds like it requires some kind of legal agreement with Sun.  Was
> that properly obtained by the Apache board?
>
> just curious.  it seems as though many of us committers are left in the
> dark when it comes to legal agreements that are made or in the process
> of being made.  The apache board doesn't even seem to be posting their
> meeting minutes anymore (I doubt its been 6 months since their last
> meeting):  http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
>
> regards,
> michael

Patrick Luby                     Email: patrick.luby@sun.com
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900