commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rwald...@us.britannica.com>
Subject RE: [httpclient] 2.0 release plan
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:43:49 GMT
Jeff Dever wrote:

> The current release is 2.0Alpha1 from October 8th.
> The RELEASE_PLAN_2_0.txt only outlines until last
> September.

The assumptions behind the 2.0 release plan didn't pan out.  The idea behind
that plan was to take the 2.0A1 feature set and code base (the refactoring I
did on Slide's initial import as described at
http://www.mail-archive.com/jakarta-commons@jakarta.apache.org/msg03954.html
), fix the outstanding issues and release it.  Instead, the community moved
toward adding new features and functionality, many of which were sorely
needed (multiclient, stronger proxy/ssl support, etc.).

> It would be nice to have some milestones
> in place to organize towards a release for
> this summer.

Agreed.

> But it seems that what we really need is
> plan to release to 2.0, alpha, beta, ship.

Agreed, but following the milestone plan.

I think, and based on some of the threads here on commons-dev, others do
too, that we need to make some design decisions and probably design changes
in the httpclient code base.  A user-specified policy strategy for dealing
with things like security, cookies, authentication, connection-handling,
spec-tolerance, etc. seems like it would address a number of the user issues
and complaints we encounter.  The relation between (and justification for
having both) HttpClient and HttpMultiClient isn't clear to me.  There have
been a number of ideas kicked around on refactoring the HttpMethodBase tree,
etc.  I think we need to work out what we want httpclient to do and to look
like (even if just in the very immediate term), and I agree that the
milestone plan is probably the best way to manage (and communicate) that
evolution.

> Rodney, are you able to come back
> as release manager?

I'd be glad to help where I can, but I don't have the bandwidth right now to
keep up with all of the changes that have made and proposed over the last
few months.  If anyone else wants to volunteer (dion?, marc?) by all means,
have at it.