commons-dev mailing list archives

From micael <caraun...@harbornet.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Internationalization of log messages
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:59:33 GMT
At the risk of repeating myself, the basic idea behind i18n is to provide
the functionality in the creation of the view.  The difficulty here is that
the writing and the view are not decoupled.  They need to be decoupled, and
then the whole problem disappears, because the view and the data are
decoupled.  So, somehow, to properly address the problem, the writer must
write the data, and the reader must read the data in whatever language is
desired.  So, apparently one needs a writer to write the data in "code,"
and a reader to do the translation.  Having the logger do the translation
is a less than ideal design decision.