commons-dev mailing list archives

From Krupa <kr...@bond.co.uk>
Subject RE: Issues with logging
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:49:09 GMT
Hi,
 This issue has already been raised long time back under the subject "Support for JDK1.4 Logger
in Commons Package". It was told that time that it will be fixed. But the fix has not happened
yet. Hope it is resolved quickly.

Krupa.

-----Original Message-----
From: Giacomo Pati [mailto:giacomo@apache.org]
Sent: 30 September 2002 16:47
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Issues with logging

Hi all

We've dicovered an issue with the current commons-logging code (1.0.2).

We have a servlet depoyed into a Servlet engine which has a log4j.jar in
its common classpath but our servlet (using commons-logging) need to used
logkit. We tried to use the system property
"org.apache.commons.logging.Log" set to
"org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger" as suggested with no luck.

So, we looked into the code and found that the constructor of
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl is doing the following:

    public LogFactoryImpl() {
        super();
        guessConfig();
    }

and the guessConfig does:

    protected void guessConfig() {
        if( isLog4JAvailable() ) {
            proxyFactory = null;
            try {
                Class proxyClass=
                    loadClass(
"org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory" );
                if (proxyClass != null) {
                    proxyFactory = (LogFactory)proxyClass.newInstance();
                }
            } catch( Throwable t ) {
                ; // ignore
            }
        }
        // other logger specific initialization
        // ...
    }

Admittedly if have no idea what the proxyFactory is used for but for us
this means commons-logging does not respect the system property suggested
to use any other logging kit if there is a log4j in the classpath
anywhere.

Is this intentional?

By commenting the 'guessConfig()' call from the constructor we could solve
our problems but I'd really like to hear your oppinions about it.

Cheers

Giacomo

This message, together with any attachments, is
confidential and is intended only for the use of
the addressee(s) and may contain information
which is covered by legal, professional or other
privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
please destroy this E-mail and inform us.