commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [util][lang] Disbanding and distributing
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:56:03 GMT

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Henri wrote:
> 1) BitField  => Collections possibly. or Lang.
> 2) Interpolator => Kill.
> 3) StopWatch ?
> 4) WordWrapUtils => Lang's sandbox. It's a break off of StringUtils which
> was not very stable at release time.
> 5) XmlUtils => Kill.
> 6) identifier/ => Find somewhere
> 7) GenerateUniqueId => Help commons-email with how to use identifier, or
> commons-email contains this code
>
> I propose creating a 'util' package within [lang]. This would contain
> BitField

This is fine.

> StopWatch

This seems borderline to me for [lang].

> XmlUtils ?? (maybe just the escaping)

No. The [lang] component has to do with the *Java* language, not XML or
HTML or any other language. XmlUtils has no business in [lang].

> I propose creating an 'identifier' package within [lang]. This would contain
> /identifier
>
> I propose deleting
> Interpolator
>
> I propose adding to [lang]
> WordWrapUtils

No. Once you start talking about words, you're outside the scope of
[lang]. This would be more in the scope of a component such as [text],
since, if it were in the JDK, it would logically fall into java.text
rather than java.lang (along with java.text.Format et al).

--
Martin Cooper