commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rich Dougherty" <r...@rd.gen.nz>
Subject Re: [Collections] [SUBMIT] Trie
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 05:34:54 GMT
> Would it be useful to have a trie that would index on the tail ends of
> strings in reverse, for supporting quick searches for stuff 'ending in'?
>
> Are there any situations where it would be valuable to index on all
> n-to-last-character subsequences of entries, or would the overhead just
> be too tremendous for that to be useful?  (I mean, can a trie be used to
> implement fast lookups of any occurrence of a subsequence?)

I think you're talking about a suffix tree (which I've just discovered
recently). The Trie interface and implementation I've submitted could be
used i a suffix tree. Here are two links that show the relationship:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd/tildeAlgDS/Tree/Suffix/
http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~cs251/OldCourses/1997/topic7/

Rich