commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Ant using commons code/jars
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:28:03 GMT

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Henri Yandell <bayard@generationjava.com> wrote on 18/12/2002 04:08:31 AM:
>

> > Is there any need to ask them? They'll either use it or they won't, but
> in
> > its current position its of no use to other people. Commons is mainly
> > tasked with being a repository of useful code from one project for other
> > projects to use.
> Note the 'use' word there. It's fine having a whole lot of useful code,
> but if none of our projects use it, what's the point?

Well, depends. If none of our projects use it but it still has lots of
interest and users, then maybe we're not very adaptive. If no projects use
it, then yeah there's an issue.

> > Once a piece of code has passed into commons, it is the responsibility
> of
> > the maintainers [who should be the original coders, but often aren't] to
> > focus on strengthening that code for all users and projects, and not
> just
> > the originating project.
> 100% agree. But starting off with one user sounds like a pre-req to me.

I'd love them to use it etc, but trying to harass them now will at best
get them cvs dependent on our tree. Then we get the pain that
Struts/Validator have, ie) Struts must have a Validator release before
Struts can release. I'd hate to have the next release of Ant dependent on
Commons Lang.

If however we just try to build up a good repository, then we have two
subsequent options. 1) Wait for people to arrive. 2) Go advertise.
But in both situations, the consumer is dependent on the release, not cvs.

[The fact that we don't release often enough is a separate issue to solve
I think].

I guess I somehow got sub-conciously brainwashed by Kevin Costner in Field
of Dreams [don't ask, it wasn't ME who chose that from the video store]:
"If you build it, they will come".

Hen