commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] XmlConfiguration
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:50:10 GMT
Martin Poeschl <mpoeschl@marmot.at> writes:

Hi,

>10 other projects also have their implementation and they don't want to
>switch :-((((

>it definitly doesn't make sense to have 10 implemetations for something
>like reading an xml config file!!!
>is it really impossible to find a solution which can be used by all
>projects??

>let's join forces to find a way to have one configuration package!!!

Martin, the main problem might be that every application has a different
idea of how their XML markup should look like.

With properties it's easy:

foo.bar.baz = blo

with XML:

1) <property name="foo.bar.baz" value="blo"/>

2) <property name="foo.bar.baz">
    <value>blo</value>
   </property>

3) <package name ="foo">
     <package name="bar">
       <property name="baz">
         <value>blo</value>
       </property>
     </package>
   </package>

4) <property>
     <name>foo.bar.baz</name>
     <value>blo</value>
   </property>

And so on. Now find a common denominator. :-) The XMLConfiguration is
useless if we can't write a DTD for it.

I personally would go for being able to parse 1 and 2.  (3 is ugly and
4 is ambigous. What if there is more than one <name/> tag?. 1 is nice
and compact and 2 allows multi-value properties).

I got the code you sent me. Will look into it tonight.

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20